Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review: Obsession by Jennifer L Armentrout


Obsession
Author: Jennifer L  Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Publication Date: May 31, 2013


~Synopsis~
He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?

~Review~
Obsession was a mix between Jennifer Armentrout’s adult/new adult books written as J. Lynn and her young adult paranormal books and I thought it was fabulous. I am a huge fan of Jennifer Armentrout and she has this unique quality behind her writing that I can’t get enough of and I absolutely adore the Lux series so Obsession was a real treat. I love the feistiness of her female characters and the arrogance of the males.

Serena was feisty, smart and courageous. Her whole world was turned upside down when her best friend is murdered. Her life becomes threatened and she is forced to trust Hunter, who may be just as dangerous. I love how Serena handles Hunter and doesn’t let him boss her around or take his crap. She is willing to risk her life in order to bring justice to the people who killed her best friend and she finds herself trusting Hunter more and more and even falling for him.

“Even as my body arched into his, ached for him, I knew Hunter was like no other man. He could lose control, and then I was going to be in big, big trouble.”

Hunter is an Arum and finds humans far beneath him. He is cold and heartless and cares for no one but himself. He is forced to look after Serena when she is being threatened by Luxen, who are the enemy of the Arum. He finds Serena to be stubborn, gutsy and sexy. The more time he spends with her, the more attracted he becomes and the more he starts to care even though he doesn’t want to. Hunter is strong, sexy and powerful and his desire to protect Serena scares the crap out him because he normally doesn’t care about anyone but himself. I loved watching him slowly start to care for her.

“So I kept an eye on her, and something about the way she kept her arms wrapped around her, making her appear smaller than she was, more vulnerable and fragile, made me want to hold her close.”

The growing attraction between Hunter and Serena was so fun. The witty banter back and forth between them was hilarious and you could definitely feel the sexual tension. Hunter has no shame and his constant sexual jokes cracked me up. I loved how Serena didn’t get all embarrassed and instead went round for round with him. He put on a good front of indifference but when push came to shove, he didn’t just have to protect her, he wanted to. They fell in love with each other and Serena knew he loved her when he risked everything to save her.

“And I needed. I wanted. It didn’t matter that she was in a vulnerable position. What did matter was that she had taken a bath earlier and I’d wasted a shit storm of energy keeping out of that room. Now I wondered if she slept naked, which made my jeans too tight.”

I love the dialogue that Jennifer Armentrout creates between her characters. It is part of her unique writing style and one of my favorite things. She didn’t disappoint in this book either. It was also really great to see a different side of the Lux and Arum. In the Lux series, Arum are perceived as all bad so it was good seeing a different side of them and giving a whole new perspective on both alien races. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I loved the crossover between Jennifer Armentrout’s adult and young adult writing styles.

        
~IPOD Picks~
"E.T" by Katy Perry
"Wake Me Up Inside" by Evanescence
"You and Me" by Lifehouse

2 comments:

  1. JLA is seriously one of my all time fav authors! I love her style and gosh I loved hunter! Great iPod picks too, totally appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too! I have loved everyone of her books. Hunter was amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!