Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blogging: Hobby or Addiction?

So I went to San Diego this weekend to visit my sister and it gave me the opportunity to evaluate and pose a question; is blogging a hobby or has it become an addiction? I have always had a passion for reading and over the last several months found myself with enough spare time to have the opportunity to read a lot more. Because of all the reading I was doing, I found that I lacked the venue in which to discuss books and get new ideas. Then I discovered book blogging. I was instantly hooked because of the awesome people out there in the book blogging community and the opportunity to discuss the books I read and add to my never ending TBR pile.

However, my husband is not much of a fan because he says that I am addicted and that I don't pay enough attention to him or spend enough time with him. I have simply been brushing him off and telling him he is just being too needy. Being away this weekend and not having the opportunity to jump on blogger all the time has given me a little perspective and made me realize that maybe I have become a little too addicted and let it consume me. I guess he was a little right (even though I will never tell him that).

I have realized and decided that I can and need to balance life a little better and not let one thing completely take over. I love participating in meme's and there are so many great ones out there. That doesn't mean I have to participate every week, it isn't required. I can do multiple posts at one time and then just schedule them to publish when I want. I can go an entire day without logging onto blogger and the people that enjoy reading my posts and interacting with me will still be there.

My husband and I have lived in Seattle for almost 4 years and there is still so many things that we haven't done or seen. I have been wanting to get a really nice camera and get into photography as a hobby for a while but have never done it. I have resolved that I am going to buy that camera and I am going to plan an excursion every weekend. I will still read every morning at the gym and in the evening before bed. I will go to my 8-5 day job and I will post at least once a day on my blog. It is all about finding the balance and making it work and with a little perspective, I have realized that I can and will do it. I am such a passionate person and when I find something to be passionate about, sometimes I let it consume me and I have to learn to find the balance.

Sorry for the rambling but I wonder, do any of you feel like this sometimes? How do you balance your hobby with the rest of your life?

8 comments:

  1. Great topic Chelsea, its one I struggle with as well. I can see how easy it would be to become too obsessed. I think the more often I make myself do other stuff and come back and see my blog has comments, the more I realise I don't need to watch it! Scheduling is my life saver, I do most of my posts early mornings at the weekend. I read in the gym too and in the evenings when everything else is done. Balancing everything is not easy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! That is such a good idea, to pick a certain time to write and schedule posts. I am glad to know that I am not crazy and that others struggle with it too :-) Thanks for sharing how you manage and for the advice!

      Delete
  2. Great topic. I think everyone has gotten a little obsessed with their blogs at times. I think it is wonderful you will start taking pics of placing you are visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been talking about getting into photography for a while and realized that if I can get into blogging, I can do photography too.

      Delete
  3. I had to reflect on the same question last Friday when we were on lockdown because of the Boston Bombing manhunt and the first thing I did was jump on blogger and post my Feature Follow Friday. My husband gave me attitude because I was blogging instead of watching the news. It makes me happy so who cares (though I suppose thats what drug addicts say too.. hmm)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That is so true, they probably do say that too. I love doing it but I realized that it was consuming all of my free time and I wasn't balancing the rest of my life very well. I just have to manage my time better so I can do it all :-)

      Delete
  4. I've had my moments where book blogging seemed to be taking over my life. Luckily I can usually tell when I start to get in the addiction mode and I take a day off. It helps when I write some posts in advance. But in the end I love it and therefore I don't mind dedicating a whole bunch of time to it. Luckily my husband loves his video games just as much so it doesn't bother him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have finally realized that addiction point so I can take a step back and keep the balance. It is so much fun and something I will definitely never give up. Now that I have found the balance, I can control it :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!